Reposted from Once Upon a Time in Needham.
On Saturday, January 5, 1924, a fire almost completely destroyed the original church building. The Kingsbury, Greene, and Crossman memorial windows, along with the Communion silver, the old bell, some flags, the pulpit, and a few other furnishings were the only items to survive. The cause of the fire is unknown.
Although the fire was devastating for the congregation, the pastor of the time, Rev. Harry W. Kimball quickly turned the event into an opportunity, drawing up plans for a facility that more closely met his growing congregation’s needs. The planned building would provide a larger sanctuary with room for the much larger congregation, new classrooms downstairs for the expanded Sunday School program, and an assembly hall capable of seating 200.
Funds for the new church, which cost $60,000 to build, came from:
|Insurance collected on old building||
The new organ was not included in this capital campaign. The $5,600 needed to procure it were raised separately by the choir, under the leadership of the choir directors, Dr. Wilde and Miss Mabel P. Friswell.
Source: The History of the Evangelical Congregational Church of Needham, Massachusetts as compiled by Edmund W. Trowbridge, Church Historian, 1957.
- The 1924 Fire (Once Upon a Time in Needham)
- The Old Bell (Once Upon a Time in Needham)
- The Kingsbury Memorial Window (Once Upon a Time in Needham)